Tag Archives: eq5d5l

EQ-5D-5L thoughts

Well having a 24 hour sickness bug gave me some opportunities to sleep and think!

Obviously I have collaborators and am not in sole position to make the final call on whether we go ahead with the design Karin and I put together. But I think we may be almost ready to get programming!

I’m excited by this: it draws on various findings from previous projects I have been involved with: the DCE is not highly efficient but it serves its purpose, and, importantly, that of the Case 2 (Profile Case) BWS study. I think we might have had difficulties making this work for the original EQ-5D (3-level version), partly due to issues like the “states that make no sense” but the edited wording for the 5-Level version have helped enormously.

This project certainly won’t provide “the answer” as to whether using BWS can or should be used for valuation. However, if it works, (1) I believe it’ll be a major step forward and (2) I hope the EuroQoL group funds follow-up work.

The general thinking is that I don’t think everyone out there can do a “single all singing-all-dancing” valuation task; splitting it into two or three (I believe) will ultimately tell us more and give more flexibility. After all, lead-time TTOs are used for states worse than death so the precedent of more than one task is there. As I mentioned before, even if what we do “works”, there are inevitably issues the Group would have to discuss regarding the use of different valuation techniques etc, which I won’t pre-empt nor under-estimate.

euroqol group funding

Sander Arons, Karin Oudshoorn and I have a EuroQoL funded project: how a *correctly* designed Case 2 best-worst scaling (BWS) study + a DCE can give us a tariff for EQ-5D-5L.

The study will be interesting as we work from first principles: what is the tariff for an INDIVIDUAL person. Then do all the things I’ve been harking on about for 5+ years to get a proper population tariff.

I don’t claim this will turn the world upside down. But I do think it will give some food for thought for whether the Secretariat wants to consider DCEs for the 5L tariff. I fully recognise that the EuroQoL group has all sorts of constraints to work under (linking with the -3L version, consistency of methods etc) which I totally understand. I’m pragmatic these days. But I think, if our testing results hold true in the main study, that we will raise some eyebrows in the results and give the EuroQoL Group the chance to get back in front in terms of methodology.

Interesting times ahead!